Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Dang... Call me Mr Fixit...

DISCLAIMER: The images and writing contained in this blog are the thoughts and opinions of the blogger. Obviously, all names have been left out to protect both the innocent and the guilty. Thank heavens for the 1st Amendment to the United States Constitution which allows presentation of my own feelings and opinions. There are those that feel I have violated privacy or confidences, however, with no names mentioned, attachment can only be made by inference. If by chance you don't agree with what is written here, or, feel you don't like what you have read, stop reading and don't bother coming back.


Owning a home is a great... But with it come the problems of things breaking down. Major things, like the oil burner, I leave to the experts.. I don't know squat about oil burners, except how to prime it with oil after I run out. I run out because I don't keep track of how much I have. A simple enough thing to do.. But I don't. So I run out, get more and have to prime the pump before it will run again... Nothing unusual here...Probably many others like me do the same thing.

However, about a month ago our washing machine decided if was old enough to want a rest and it gave out. Not the motor or the clutch or the main innards of the machine... Just the agitator. Now, I am NOT a mechanic. Never really been mechanically inclined, but I ain't stupid. (personal opinion)

Seems the upper half of the agitator was no longer interested in turning, thus not allowing for a full wash load to be done. I had thought there were two clutches, one controlling the lower agitator and one the upper... Therefore, thought it out and came to the following conclusion. Need a new washer. I thought this way since calling a tech in to check the machine would probably run about $75... Then the cost of repair, whatever that might be just did not seem worth it if a new machine might cost about $350...

I had taken the agitator apart myself, (yes, I am not totally un-mechanically inclined) and found that parts that were supposed to move the upper agitator in the opposite direction of the lower, did not seem to be doing their job. Poof.. Reality time and I am thinkin ok... Get a new machine.

So Jay and I go to Lowe's to look for a new washer. While there, I look at the parts on the new machine that are not working on mine... Wow... Those little rubbery thingys... They put a brake on the agitator... hmmmm... Seems mine don't do that... Jay and I go back home and look again... We don't buy the new machine.

I go on the internet to Whirlpool.com... sure enough... The little rubber thingys are called dogs... (why???) they are my problem. I call around to various (about 6) appliance parts stores and find one that has the "agitator cam kit"... $24.99. I buy the kit, replace the old dogs with new and voila... My washer works again.. I am GOOD. Whew... Almost spent $350 unnecessarily.

On another note, two years ago I bought a Fiesta Bar-B-Q... Nice unremarkable dual burner model, simple, as my taste runs...(cheap too $99)... Well, the other night I cooked 42 thin sliced chicken cutlets. My kids and I love chicken cutlets. Jay showed me how cooking with less oil is better than cooking with more... Sorry... Off the track here... While at the butcher shop getting the cutlets, I also picked up 5 beautiful filet mignons...So Let's have those tonight... Not exactly. When I went to start the BBQ, found that the tray that holds the lava rocks over the burner was completely disintegrated, lava rocks (in pieces and covered in old food droppings broken and on the burner itself. The burner is even worse off, holes everywhere... Now... What to do... Well first off we cooked the filets in the oven broiler... Perfectly and were they good. Next day I set out looking for replacement parts for the BBQ.

Lowe's had a replacement burner, $19.95 but no tray for the lava rocks... That's a special order item for the Fiesta brand BBQ. I attempt to improvise, using another type of grid. No go.. Too big...I take it back and low and behold... They have a new fangled cover that goes over the burner to evenly distribute the heat, no lava rocks needed. Perfect. ($19.95) Now I've spent $40 plus dollars (tax included) to fix a $99 BBQ. Hmmmm something not right here... But it works... and I saved bout $50 not buying a new $99 BBQ. Call me Mr Fixit. See ya.

No comments: