Saturday, September 11, 2004

MADE IT THROUGH ANOTHER WEEK...

DISCLAIMER: The images and writing contained in this blog are the thoughts and opinions of the blogger. Obviously, all names have been left out to protect both the innocent and the guilty. Thank heavens for the 1st Amendment to the United States Constitution which allows presentation of my own feelings and opinions. There are those that feel I have violated privacy or confidences, however, with no names mentioned, attachment can only be made by inference. If by chance you don't agree with what is written here, or, feel you don't like what you have read, stop reading and don't bother coming back.


IF YOU ARE NEW TO READING MY BLOG... PLEASE START AT THE BEGINNING... LOOK FOR ARCHIVES... GOTO AUGUST 2004 AND START AT THE BOTTOM AND WORK UP. THANKS.

September 11, 2004

On this day especially, I pause to remember all those we lost 3 years ago in the terrorist attacks on our nation. Make G-d hold all of them close to him and may they rest in peace.

My life is just one more day and then another... Like anyone else... But I treasure each... Some days I accomplish more than I believe is humanly possible. Others nothing. But this past week was a goody. My daughter Rachel celebrated her 22nd birthday with friends...(I had to work that day) and this week end (today as a matter of fact) I'll take her and a friend our to dinner. Happy Birthday Rachel.. Love you.

Dan called from Gulfport MS, he arrived to drill (USMCR) 1 hour late due to heavy, heavy traffic on I-10. But he arrived none the less and in formation last night my son was pinned, CORPORAL, USMC. Outstanding Dan. Proud of you kiddo. Dan also told me, double drills next 3 months and January '05 will be the 2005 active duty 2 week camp... All of this leading up to, of course, the dreadful possibility of his unit being re-activated and sent back to Iraq. Perish the thought. But Dan, being the Marine he is looks forward to whatever the Marine Corps orders him to do. Semper Fi Dan. I love you son.

Finally got in touch with Jay. An able bodied seaman on the tall ship US Brig Niagara on Lake Erie, and I offered to send him his next package of mail. He said hold on to it... He's coming home!! He'll be here this coming Monday. Alrighty then.

As for me, this past week was as hectic as ever... Seems my first 5 months in as Chief of an ambulance company somewhere on Long Island, just flew by. I have made some strides on trying to bring the corps back together after the election debacle, but it ain't easy. There are so many opposing forces. I think sometimes, some people are just doing their best to split the corps and see where the pieces crumble. It makes no sense. I have helped to bring in 5 new members in my first 5 months tenure. 3 EMT's and 2 aides. (both going for EMT certification).

Met with my fellow officers and a former Chief and current Chairperson of the Board of Directors. She (chairperson) offers, even though she opposed my running for Chief, help in any way possible. Especially in making calls to members, to help get the rigs out. Afterall, getting our ambulances out with personnel to emergency calls is our first priority. I believe she'll challenge me, if I run for Chief again next year. But whatever the future brings, I'm just trying to make a positive difference in the here and now. I am hoping the old line saying "what does not kill us, makes us stronger" holds true... Cause some of our members are truly trying to kill us.

Yesterday we got hit with 7 ambulance calls in a row... Just like Wheat Thins, the just kept comin... One after another... But we covered them all.

It's amazing to me that some members can find fault, even in the good things we do. But we try to do good things anyway. The day before yesterday, took a patient to a distant hospital (University Hospital @ Stony Brook) and when we were ready to return, I was having a conversation (and a cigarette) with a WWII veteran of the Normandy Landing. His name is Anthony and he was upset. First, he and his wife had to take a cab to get to UHSB since the ambulance company in the district in which he lives, refused to transport him (back pain from prior operation) to Stony Brook. Then, when he was finished in the emergency room, he waited over an hour (to that point) for a cab (that never showed up) to take him and his wife home. He was pretty upset.

Realizing he lived close to our district, and being a Veteran myself, I wanted to help. I asked my crew if they would have any problem transporting this man and his wife back home. Both said, "let's do it" I'm so proud of them. (I also cleared the transport with a fellow officer) You should have seen the look on Anthony's face when I told him we'd take him home in our ambulance. We did, and had some great chat about his experience in the Normandy Landing on the way. Maybe it's just me, but it's these little things we can do for others that are rewarding. Upon bringing him up to his house, Anthony and his wife thanked up profusely. It was good.

Coincidentally, and this is a funny one... The other day we had a chest pain call for a woman in a car near the expressway. Upon arrival, the woman, in her 40's looked at me and said... I know you. 10 years ago I helped delivery her baby girl. (one of my fifteen so far) Small world. She laughed and said she remembered me, that I might not remember her, with her pants on... oy... Now that's funny.(well it is to me anyway)

Alright, enough for now. Rachel's 22, Dan's a Corporal and Jay's comin home. G-ds in heaven and all is right for now. Later.

No comments: