Tuesday, September 28, 2004

COMPUTER WORK, A CEMETERY AND MORE

DISCLAIMER: The images and writing contained in this blog are the thoughts and opinions of the blogger. Obviously, all names have been left out to protect both the innocent and the guilty. Thank heavens for the 1st Amendment to the United States Constitution which allows presentation of my own feelings and opinions. There are those that feel I have violated privacy or confidences, however, with no names mentioned, attachment can only be made by inference. If by chance you don't agree with what is written here, or, feel you don't like what you have read, stop reading and don't bother coming back.


IF YOU ARE NEW TO READING MY BLOG... PLEASE START AT THE BEGINNING... LOOK FOR ARCHIVES... GOTO AUGUST 2004 AND START AT THE BOTTOM AND WORK UP. THANKS.

Well today could have gone better... It was not what I would call a good day. But then again, just one more day is good, no matter how bad it might be.

My father died about one year ago. Being Jewish, tradition dictates his headstone be, "unveiled" about a year after his death, so that time is here and my brother and I and our cousin Lillian were to go to the cemetery and plant evergreen bushes on Dad's grave prior to the unveiling.

I spent almost 5 hours doing computer work for a client, and glad I had the extra time due to the fact that David (my brother) was driving down from Connecticut, but was leaving much later than anticipated.

So, instead of us meeting at the cemetery at about 11AM, we met at 3:30PM. Mind you the cemetery closes at 5PM sharp. So we were alittle rushed. Dig, clear, dig, plant. I wore a pair of my EMS gloves, but had on a short sleeve shirt. I am obviously allergic to something that must have been sprayed or powdered on the small evergreen bushes because I broke our in a rash on my fore arms while planting. Itchy hives but thank heavens that was all. So we continue and finally finished. It looks nice. We had previously planned to get a bite to eat after the planting, so we are driving out of the cemetery, on very narrow roads.

Cousin Lillian, who just got back to driving after knee and hip operations, drives a handicap equipped car, with gas pedal on the left of the brake. (left foot better than right) Well, on the first tight turn, Lillian ran into a cement/stone pylon and knocked over a huge granite headstone. Knock on wood, she was not hurt and I chidded her on not receiving the safe driver award this month. Now however, it's 4:45PM and the cemetery closes at 5PM. Workers and the supervisor come to look over the damage (extensive to right front bumber, fender and passenger door. The workers were great though, they actually helped change the flattened front passenger tire and we're on our way again.

I was going to leave while they changed the tire, since I really had to get back and finish the computer jobs for two clients, and did not know how I would be able to finish and be to my other job by 10PM. (work dispatch an fire district 10pm - 6am Monday to Friday). I contacted a co-worker and she arranged for coverage for me for 2 hours, so I did not have to be in until midnight. Good thing too, because once home (7:45) it took until 11:30 PM for the work to be complete. In any event, it was obvious, being in NYC, that if I left at 5:30 or 6:30, I'd get home the same time due to rush hour traffic. So I joined Lillian & David for a quick bite then got on the road home.

Once all the work was done, I delivered the jobs and back to work I go...

So here I am, in the radio room giving you (the reader) the daily scoop. Could have been a better day, but shit happens, I'm just glad Lillian was not hurt. Gonna take some fix-up to repair her car though. Oy... Later...

No comments: