Friday, October 01, 2004

ON LINE AT LAST !!

DISCLAIMER: The images and writing contained in this blog are the thoughts and opinions of the blogger. Obviously, all names have been left out to protect both the innocent and the guilty. Thank heavens for the 1st Amendment to the United States Constitution which allows presentation of my own feelings and opinions. There are those that feel I have violated privacy or confidences, however, with no names mentioned, attachment can only be made by inference. If by chance you don't agree with what is written here, or, feel you don't like what you have read, stop reading and don't bother coming back.


IF YOU ARE NEW TO READING MY BLOG... PLEASE START AT THE BEGINNING... LOOK FOR ARCHIVES... GOTO AUGUST 2004 AND START AT THE BOTTOM AND WORK UP. THANKS.

With all that goes on in my life, I often try to sit back and look at it all. I realize, though I have a life filled with many different experiences daily, once in awhile I need to make sure, I do the right thing, do for someone else that possibly no one else will. Well I don't know if this qualifies, but I had promised my cousin Lillian (our only living relative we care that we're in touch with, a great lady) to help her get set up and on the internet in short order. Turned out to be not so short order but not insurmountable.

Seems Lillian, just home after multiple knee and hip surgeries, has a lap top that she wanted to use to get on line. (she had access to the net while in rehab)...

Unfortunately, the laptop runs Windows 95 and has and old slow CD-Rom drive. But the Laptop belonged to her son Doug, who passed away and so this machine holds much sentimental value for her. However, this limited our options. I told Lillian I could add a screen name for her on my AOL account so that she does not to pay for a new account. Problem! In trying to load new AOL programming and newest software not supported by Windows 95... oy.

So ... I found an old AOL 2.5 disk and sent it to her. But, once loaded, unable to reach any of the local dial-up numbers. Anyway... We talked for ages on the phone, trying to get this thing right.... Finally gave in to CompuServe, already loaded on her system... That finally worked... And now Lill is connected... Cool...

Later...
update 7/13/05) Lillian had some problems with her laptop and it;s been upgraded to Windows 98 and she now has AOL... so all is good...lol

No comments: