Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Post Election News

DISCLAIMER: The images and writing contained in this blog are the thoughts and opinions of the blogger. Obviously, all names have been left out to protect both the innocent and the guilty. Thank heavens for the 1st Amendment to the United States Constitution which allows presentation of my own feelings and opinions. There are those that feel I have violated privacy or confidences, however, with no names mentioned, attachment can only be made by inference. If by chance you don't agree with what is written here, or, feel you don't like what you have read, stop reading and don't bother coming back.


Well... the feeling of exhilaration is simply amazing. I never thought losing an election could feel so good. Now I'll get the proper amount of sleep, something I've missed over the past year being Chief.

With all the petty childishness that went on, I'm surprised we survived. Between having one member tell others I was a "burnt out, crispy critter" and others actually believing it...I gotta tell ya...I'm very surprised and disappointed. I would have thought a greater majority of members could have seen though the bullshit. But alas, I was wrong. Promises win elections... And I made no promises. So...we'll see how this coming year goes. While I would have preferred being Chief another year, and was more than willing to devote the time and energy to do the job, the rest will do me good.

In the meantime, our annual "installation dinner" (where we feast and "install" [swear in] new officers, is now a dual celebration. Since we're still a split corps, one half will be celebrating my farewell party while the other half... well... watch as the new officers get installed.

All this would not bother me at all if there was some logical reasoning behind what has happened. I would have never thought that members with many years in the corps, many years of helping people in their time of need would stoop to such lows. To not come out and answer calls (which means a call is given to neighboring department) because I was Chief certainly must tell ya something. Patient care is not their goal. I asked, many times, "you wanna make me look bad... fine I can live with that, but don't let it affect our patient care." But alas, again I was wrong and that's exactly what many members did...Sad isn't it? Just one look at the stats and one can see what I'm talking about. Some members did not even do half of the calls they did the year before. Shameful. They short changed themselves and more importantly... our public. The residents we're suppossedly here to help.

Well... Enough of that. Now I'll stand my weekly duty shift and answer as many other alarms as possible. Will I answer 580 this year as the one just past? Who knows, but I'll not be riding for the "new-old" chief, I'll be responding for the residents of my community, my patients, not the chief. Somehow I don't think members got that idea, that you don't ride for the Chief... you ride for the public. That's what it's all about...

And another thing... (reply to this post if you will...) Maybe I'm confused... If I was a burnt out, crispy critter would I be more or less interested in patient care? I would think if I was burnt out I wouldn't give a damn. What do you think?

Now I think tomorrow I'll paint the new shed door. That's just one "around the house" job I've put off too long.

Till the next post...

No comments: