Sunday, August 29, 2004

an APRIL Fool....am I

IF YOU ARE NEW TO READING MY BLOG... PLEASE START AT THE BEGINNING... LOOK FOR ARCHIVES... GOTO AUGUST 2004 AND START AT THE BOTTOM AND WORK UP. THANKS.



(l/r)My daughter, Rachel (EMT), my son, Dan (Lpcl/USMC) and me. Prior to Memorial Day Parade, 2004 somewhere on Long Island. I'm so proud of both of them.

I was elected Chief of a local Volunteer Ambulance Corps here, somewhere on Long Island NY in March 2004, by a one vote margin. It was an election filled with controversy and thus divided the corps. Half for the incumbent Chief and one more than half in my favor.

None the less, I took office on April 1st (fittingly,April FOOLS day) and am trying to bring the corps together again. Of course this is no easy task. With over 60 active members I must remember as Chief, the direction in which I, and my fellow officers lead the corps this year will probably only suit half the corps. But I'm trying. It won't be easy as there was post election ballot tampering.

As an aside, after I was elected Chief, my kids bought me a custom made Chief's baseball cap. I was honored, however some of those in the corps saw this as my highest and first priority was to get a Chief's hat. I wear the hat with pride, what was I to do tell my kids... sorry some people are upset about the hat so I can't wear your gift? Some people can be so petty, insensitive and cruel. But I deal with it.

Anyway, this event (the parade) was my first as Chief in 2004. Many of those participating in the parade returned to headquaters for a BBQ afterwards. It was a nice ending to my first event.

No comments: