Friday, August 27, 2004

Current Events 8/27/04

IF YOU ARE NEW TO READING MY BLOG... PLEASE START AT THE BEGINNING... LOOK FOR ARCHIVES... GOTO AUGUST 2004 AND START AT THE BOTTOM AND WORK UP. THANKS.

Well... heard from my son the Marine last night...
 Posted by Hello

He just got started this semester at LSU in Baton Rouge, LA...But... he now has been given the chance to become a Primary Marksmanship Instructor and go to Quantico VA for 2 weeks in October... wow.. what a great opportunity for him... I am so proud... Anyway... he called and asked my opinion, should he do it, just having gotten back into school and all... I told him... GO FOR IT!!... Gotta act when opportunity knocks and this sounds like something Dan really wants to do... Of course he'll have to get his professors to go along with his missing 2 weeks of classes that he'll have to make up... but Dan can do that easily...I hope he gets to go... oooh rah Dan...

Also heard from oldest son Jay the other night... He's back in port at Erie PA after a long sail on the Great Lakes. Jay is an able bodied Seaman sailing on tall ships. He's sailed on a number of ships like the Corwith Cramer a tall ship and part of Sea Education Association's (SEA)armada. Also sailed with the Ernestina - the official tall ship of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Then down to Florida for a stint on the Heritage of Miami and presently on the US Brig Niagara out of Erie PA...

Last year while the Ernestina was docked at Greenport, Long Island around the time of my birthday (May) Jay took his sister Rachel (I'll get to her shortly), my best friend Liz and me on board and for a short cruise on Peconic Bay. Awesome. Jay used to be afraid of heights...but not any more... he and I started to climb up into the sails... I only went up halfway and Jay took pictures...Hey at 55 years of age, I'm glad I got half way up there... scared only describe's one of the emotions I felt up there...exuberant over the fact that my son was above me on the rope ladder was more like it... he's some sailor. Knows his stuff too. Can't wait till he's home again for awhile.. miss him lots...

I'll write more later... gotta bring Rachel into the picture here... so watch for it... She's an EMT like me and rides with a paid service and volunteers as well. she's up next... Later...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah! I'm a WEB Griffin fan too... I've read the Corps series like 3 times through (actually, I've read Semper Fi 5 times, but I've only read Retreat Hell! once, being so new and all), hehe, can't get enuf of Ken McCoy. Anyway, yeh, just giving you a shout out...