Monday, August 30, 2004

Sailing with Jay

IF YOU ARE NEW TO READING MY BLOG... PLEASE START AT THE BEGINNING... LOOK FOR ARCHIVES... GOTO AUGUST 2004 AND START AT THE BOTTOM AND WORK UP. THANKS.

As mentioned in the a recent post, Current Events 8/27/04 (not very current though) Liz, Rachel and I went out to visit Jay on the tall ship Ernestina while they were docked in Greenport, NY.(Long Island) in May of 2003.(a birthday present for me)

It was a bright but chilly May day and we went for a short sail on Peconic Bay off eastern Long Island. Only by having joined Jay on this marvelous old tall ship, can I get an inkling of why he loves sailing as much as he does. What a great feeling to be under sail (which all guests and crew raised). Jay taught me how to perform various tasks while under way. Then (at my idiotic request) Jay offered to show me how to climb up the masts. This is done via a rope ladder, but the scary part is to get on the ladder, one must step over the side of the ship. OY... (hey guys that's water out there...) well...I accomplished getting on the ladder but only went up half way. (what a chicken) Jay says working on and sailing on tall ships as rid him of his fear of heights.

In the pics here, I'm the guy with the beard and the scared look on his face trying to look fearless and like I'm really liking this...(I really did though) Pic of me was taken by Jay from above (obviously) and the pic of him on the ladder (the guy with no hair and sun glasses...was taken by, you guessed it... me. (click on pic to enlarge)


 Posted by Hello

What a great time we had. I was scared stiff but would not have missed being with him for the world. More pics follow, Liz, Rachel and Jay's college friend Liz.

No comments: